Sunday, December 11, 2011

Snickerdoodles

Snickerdoodles have been a part of my Christmases for as long as I can remember. I made them as a kid with my mom and still make them today. The recipe I use now is different from the one I used to use with my mom. When I first moved away from home I didn't have my mom's recipes at my disposal so I had to find my own and I stumbled across Martha Stewart's recipe (she even manages to make an appearance when we're not talking about cupcakes!) for Cinnamon-Sugar Cookies (known to me as Snickerdoodles) that I tried, and liked better... sorry mom. Martha's version are a little thinner and crispier than those I made with my mom, and they just suit my fancy. Enjoy!

Snickerdoodles (Cinnamon-Sugar Cookies)

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 sticks (16 Tbsp) unsalted butter, room temperature but still slightly firm
1 2/3 cups sugar, plus 1/4 cup for topping
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (I never do this, I just use cooking spray to grease the cookie sheets... don't tell Martha). In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; set aside. With an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 2/3 cups sugar until light and fluffy, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Add egg and vanilla; beat until combined. Add dry ingredients; beat, scraping bowl as necessary, until dough comes together when squeezed (it will appear dry).

2. Make the cinnamon and sugar: In a small bowl, mix together remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the cinnamon.

3. Using 1 level tablespoon dough per cookie, squeeze each tightly and roll into balls. Roll each in cinnamon sugar, coating evenly. Place on baking sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart; flatten with bottom of glass. Sprinkle tops with any remaining cinnamon sugar.

4. Bake, one sheet at a time, until tops are puffed and crackly, and bottoms are golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Cool slightly on sheets; transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.